Healthcare is always such a big concern, no matter what stage of your life you are in. With the rising cost of healthcare we all need to educate ourselves about how we can keep those costs as minimal as possible. How can we do that? Through Planning, Preparing and Prevention. To make sure that your healthcare plan is working hard for you and your family check out these great tips from Cigna:
We’re often great at budgeting household expenses like our mortgage, groceries or vacations, but many of us don’t think about budgeting for healthcare expenses. The more you can anticipate upcoming costs, the more you can save while still receiving the high quality care you expect for you and your family.
· Spend one night reviewing your healthcare expenses. Know what you have spent to-date and think about what your future costs may be. For example, will anyone need glasses or braces next year? Knowing what your current spending habits are and what your future costs may be, can help you budget accordingly.
There are a few things that you can do now to ensure you’re prepared to make quick decisions when the time is appropriate.
· Know where the nearest urgent care facility is. These facilities provide the same quality of care for non-emergent conditions as an ER, but have shorter wait times and are typically less expensive.
· Check your health plan to see if they offer a 24/7 nurse hotline to provide you with health-related advice around the clock.
· Keep the phone number handy for your local pharmacy. Prescriptions can be called in quickly, right from the doctor’s office, saving time.
Taking advantage of preventative services offered by your health plan could mean the difference between life and early death.
· Visit your doctor each year for a checkup – make the appointment on a memorable day so you remember each year to go! Also, take advantage of the free services offered, such as access to dieticians and nurses, who can answer questions and provide advice.
Here, we do a lot of prevention, some preparing but little planning. And I love the tip about Urgent Care facilities, I absolutely despise going to an Emergency Room and sitting for hours on end. A tip they didn’t mention is check into your local health department. You would be surprised at all of the services they have available. When it comes to keeping you and your family healthy there’s so much more to talk about. I would love for you to check out the other videos that Cigna has available and join the conversation at YouTube.com/Cigna.
“I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Cigna. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.”